News & Events
CHAMPS In the News
October 2, 2019
- Blog post: “How (and Why) to Become a Foster Parent” by Benjamin J. Dueholm for the New York Times Parenting section. Blog post available here.
June 11, 2019
- News article: “New Mexico Acknowledged For Measures Improving Foster Care; CYFD Calls For Task Force Applicants” in the Los Alamos Daily Post (New Mexico). Article available here.
May 31, 2019
- Blog post: “We Join Together to Say #ThanksFosterFamilies on National Foster Family Appreciation Day” by Hope Cooper of the CHAMPS Campaign. Blog post available here.
April 24, 2019
- Blog post: “Keeping up with the caseload: How to recruit and retain foster parents” by Ron Haskins of the Brookings Institution, Jeremy Kohomban of the Children’s Village and CHAMPS co-chair, and Jennifer Rodriguez of Youth Law Center and CHAMPS co-chair. Blog post available here.
November 29, 2018
- Blog post: “The Quality Parenting Initiative: Transforming Foster Care to Prioritize Childhoods” by Jill Gerber for the CHAMPS blog. Blog post available here.
October 31, 2018
- Blog post: “Many States and Localities Do Not Recruit or Retain Enough Caregivers for Children in Foster Care” by CHAMPS co-chairs in response to the release of the Chronicle for Social Change analysis, “Who Cares: A National Count of Foster Homes and Families.” Blog post available here.
May 29, 2018
- Blog post: “Helping Foster Parents Be a Healing Force in Young Lives” by Sarah H. Springer, MD, FAAP, published in AAP Voices, the official blog of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Blog post available here.
May 18, 2018
- Op-Ed: “We Have to Stop Losing Half of Foster Parents in the First Year” by Irene Clements, National Foster Parents Association, published in the Chronicle of Social Change. Op-ed available here.
January 31, 2018
- Blog post: “The foster care system was unprepared for the last epidemic – let’s not repeat history” by CHAMPS co-chairs Jeremy Kohomban and Jennifer Rodriguez and CHAMPS research partner Ron Haskins. Published by the Brookings Institution. Blog article available here.
CHAMPS Announcements & Advisories
May 29, 2019
- Over 110 Amazing Foster Families Recognized During National Foster Care Month, Policy Progress Being Made. See announcement
May 31, 2018
- May 31 Marks First Ever National Foster Parent Appreciation Day. CHAMPS Campaign Applauds Congressional Resolution to Designate National Foster Parent Appreciation Day; Celebrates Foster Parents. See announcement.
May 18, 2018
- CHAMPS Action Alert on National Foster Parent Appreciation Day for Child Welfare Agencies, Legislators & Community Leaders.
January 15-16, 2019 – CHAMPS and the Brookings Institution host a two-day convening that brings together 80 leaders from the child welfare field to share promising approaches to foster parent recruitment, retention and support. See the meeting agenda and participants list.
January 31, 2018 – Campaign Kick-off Event at the Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C. Facebook Live recording here.
June 22, 2017 – CHAMPS Launches at the Annual Conference of the National Foster Parent Association, Houston, TX. Facebook Live recording here.
Sign the Pledge
Sign the pledge to show your support for today’s amazing foster parents and the importance of quality foster parenting.
We invite you to get involved in CHAMPS and be part of building bright futures for kids in foster care.